ME and Ophelia

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

 
ANOTHER WINDOWS WORM IS ON THE LOOSE - W32/Nachi-A
But this one tries to help rather than hinder

BBC NEWS | Technology | New web worm tackles bugs

My new laptop arrived in June.

I am already getting a bit cheesed off with Microsoft.

Home computing is harder work than I anticipated.

At work, all I had to do was contact IT and they would sort everything.

Here, at home, within minutes of getting started with Microsoft (which takes hours of CDs, codes, numbers, names, passwords, user names, on and on and on) I had to contend, every minute, with *adult* Messenger Service popups from Susanne Girl et al. That took hours to sort out.

Next, I had a major system crash, a worm, and a wannabe worm. Lost part of my weblog template, both site counters and guest map. Spent hours and days getting uncrashed and dewormed, running virus checks and downloading Microsoft and Symantec updates, purchasing and installing ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and pest control, fixing my weblog and template, and posting blogs on all of this.

It has turned me into a techie, authoring a techie weblog, with no energy left to learn how to backup onto CD or use my new scanner.

Guarding against wee beasties polluting my new machine, is draining what little energy I have left.

I paid good money for the latest Windows XP. With that, and the equipment costs, I could have purchased the latest 17" laptop from Apple Mac.

Now another worm is on the loose, targetting only Windows XP.

Sophos virus analysis: W32/Nachi-A explains that it is a Win32 type worm that spreads, using the RPC DCOM vulnerability, in a similar way to the W32/Blaster-A worm.

I wonder, how much business was lost, around the world, during Tues Aug 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and how much was gained by the software security sector?

Do Apple Mac users have such problems, and if not, why not?

# posted by Ingrid J. Jones @ 8/19/2003
Comments: Post a Comment
0 comments Newer›  ‹Older

Previously: