ME and Ophelia

Monday, December 01, 2003

 
YOU CAN NOW SEARCH THIS BLOG
By subject or date - and do a Google search in the same box

If you look to your right, near the top of my sidebar, you will see a search bar.

As soon as I saw that nifty little tool in James Lee's sidebar, I searched Google's playground and tools site but could not find it. Yesterday, I emailed James to ask. Today, he very kindly emailed me his code. Million thanks James, and for tweaking the details and layout via your second email. It's the easiest thing I've ever transported into my blog. See for yourself how it works:

(1) Click top button. Type in your name - or any subject - and you will see if I have blogged about you - or the subject - in a previous post.

For example, if you key in "camera phones", it will bring up a Google link with the word "cached". Click into "cached" and it will take you to my post about camera phones - you will see the words "camera phones" highlighted in bright colour.

However, when I typed in "James Lee", it brought up four Google links: I clicked the first two. They led me to a BlogSpot redirection page. The other two links led me to my latest post. At least it showed me that I have blogged about James. Also, I typed in the word "Thanksgiving" but it did not show that I have blogged that topic (which I have, recently). So, it is not 100% accurate and may need more than one keyword to find what you are looking for, but I love it, and it is certainly better than nothing.

It works well if you type in a date and month (July, August, September, October, November - up until today's date) as it will show you my post for that day and is an easy way to find old posts.

(2) Click second button. Key in your name (or any subject) and you will see what Google comes up with. This means readers can look something up, in Google, direct from my blog page.

I'm sure there are more benefits to this facility. If you know any, please share it here. And, if you find that I have not blogged about you - or any of the subjects you are interested in, please let me know and I will find something on it - or you - to blog about!

# posted by Ingrid J. Jones @ 12/01/2003
Comments: Post a Comment
0 comments Newer›  ‹Older

Previously: