ME and Ophelia

Wednesday, February 04, 2004


The perils of siting over high voltage cables

Shouldn't laugh, but ...

Early this morning, a so-called 'superloo' exploded in Hanley town centre when an electrical fault caused water to surge back into the toilet, blowing off its roof and lifting the pavement.

Police officers called to the explosion at 0445 GMT, found the roof ripped off and smoke coming from inside. Parts of the surrounding pavement had also been lifted. Nearby traffic lights may have been affected.

Energy bosses blamed a fault in high voltage cables underneath the toilet and said an investigation was under way.

Rebecca Jackson, from Aquila, said they had isolated the cable but were investigating the fault and the siting of the toilet. "This could have been quite distressing if not dangerous if someone had been in there and we are taking it very seriously," she said.

Huh? Sitting on a fault in high voltage cables underneath the toilet could be quite distressing, if not dangerous?

AND she went on to say, "We would like to reassure domestic customers this isn't something that is likely to happen in their own homes. "They have low voltage cables and lines going into their properties, their homes should not be sited over high voltage cables."

Phew, that's a relief for domestic customers. Can't help wondering though, about all those non-domestic customers...

# posted by Ingrid J. Jones @ 2/04/2004
Comments: Post a Comment
0 comments Newer›  ‹Older